Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Knot" being clear

This post isn't really about Cooper, but it was pretty funny so I thought I'd share. 

Chase and I recently planted a few rose bushes in the yard.  Lately they have been wilted and dried out despite how much or little they are being watered.  I thought that the problem might be that the soil wasn't holding the water so I suggested adding some more mulch to the flower bed. 

Chase began the mulch as I watered the other flowers.  As Chase was adding the mulch I reminded him-
 "Make sure to leave the root knot showing".

 I continued watering the rest of the flower bed as he applied the mulch.  I noticed that he was really piling it up on the rose so I repeated myself-
 "Make sure to leave the root knot showing".

This time Chase began actually sprinkling mulch down into the branches of the bush, so I asked-
"Chase, what are you doing?"

Without missing a beat he said with a bewildered expression-
"If I leave the root "not" showing it is covered up right?"

Of course at this point I realized how unclear "root knot" is to someone unfamiliar with gardening terms. After laughing hysterically at our misunderstanding I hugged him, apologized and explained what a root knot actually was. Both of us left the conversation feeling a bit silly.  Little things like this is why I love our relationship- I love that we can  be on the same page 99% of the time and still have little things like this to laugh about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment